Tribunal quarterly statistics April to June 2017
On 14 September 2017, the Ministry of Justice published the tribunal quarterly statistics for the period April to June 2017. During this quarter:
- The number of single claims received by employment tribunals rose by 2% while disposals decreased by 6% compared with the same quarter in 2016, resulting in an 11% increase in the outstanding case load. The average time until disposal was 28 weeks for single claims, a decrease of one week when compared to the same quarter last year.
- The number of multiple claims and disposals decreased by 19% and 43% respectively, compared to the same quarter in 2016. The average time until disposal was 318 weeks for multiple claims, an increase of 97 weeks when compared to the same quarter last year.
- Employment tribunals disposed of 9,538 claims during the quarter, down 34% compared with the same period in 2016. 18% of claims disposed of were settled via Acas, 9% were withdrawn and 16% were successful at hearing. The most common complaint disposed of was for “Unauthorised deductions”.
- The proportion of total remission applications granted (both single and multiple cases) has risen sharply at around 85% of those applying (it was 63% at the end of March 2017).
- The total employment tribunal case load outstanding at the end of June 2017 was 274,468, with 96% relating to multiple claims.